City Of Tonawanda Civil Service
200 Niagara Street
Tonawanda NY 14150
Meetings are held the first Wednesday of the month at 1:00pm in the Community Room located at City hall and are open to the public.
City Hall is open to the public by appointment only. Please notify Civil Service prior to coming in by calling 716-695-8626
Firefighter exam has been scheduled for October 10th, 2020.
Because of COVID guidelines and the amount of applicants participating, the test will have 2 sessions. One beginning at 9am and the other beginning at 1pm. PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY!
> Not everyone was divided by last name. Please note your exam time!
If you missed the deadline, Civil Service will accept applications for the firefighter exam until SEPTEMBER 08, 2020
If you have applied to sit for the upcoming Firefighter exam and have not yet submitted your photo ID, please remit to the civil service office immediately!! You may leave a copy in the drop box on the west side of the building or you may email a copy to CivilService@tonawandacity.com
Scores from the Upper Level Fire Promotion Exams held 12/14/2019 have been released by the State. Please watch your mail for your pass/fail letters that will include your grade and rank for each exam taken in this series.
Spoiler: EVERYONE PASSED
Civil Service VACANCIES:
Civil Service EXAMS
- Firefighter Exam
- Firefighter Agility (CPAT)
- Firefighter Job Specifications
- Firefighter Series Study Guide
Check back for more exam/vacancy announcements
Email Notification Announcement
Applications are accepted from January 1st thru December 31st of each year for Non-Competitive and Labor Class positions that may come up within the City and special districts during that calendar year.
Application PDF form
MANDATORY Background Check Authorization Form to be filed with all applications
Both completed forms must be submitted for consideration
Summer/Seasonal Application PFD
Summer/Seasonal Application with Background Check Authorization- RETURNING Employees PDF
Police Officer Physical Agility Information
Police Officer Medical Release Form
Exam Fee Waiver Application For unemployed Head of Households
Any exam given in multiple locations on the same day can be cross-filed per NYS Civil Service: Click for Cross-File Form. Must be submitted with Examination Application.
If you cannot take the exam on the date scheduled, you may be able to schedule an alternate test date. Click the following to see if you are eligible for another date: Civil Service Alternate Test Date Policy.
Applications for examinations should only be filled out and provided to the Civil Service Commission Office when there are exams announced and the last date for the filing of applications has not passed. Exam fees must be included with the application unless filing for an exam fee waiver as an unemployed head of household. (Waiver form must be submitted with application).
* Notice to candidates who took the December 2, 2017 Police Officer Examination: It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide a college transcript to the Commission office verifying that they have met the minimum requirements before they can be certified for appointment. Contact the office regarding transcripts at 695-8626 or e-mail: email@example.com
* Notice to candidates who took the March 19, 2016 Firefighter Examination: It is the responsibility of the candidate to provide a copy of their New York State basic Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certificate to the Commission office verifying that they have met the minimum requirements before they can be certified for appointment. Contact the office regarding certificates at 695-8626 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please call Civil Service Department at 695-8626 for more information.
Click here for job exam announcements with Erie County
Click here for job exam announcements with Niagara County
Click here for job exam announcements with NYS.
Monthly Meeting Minutes: